Name:
Location: Algonquin, Illinois, United States

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Tiny Little Things

In the last couple of days I have been attempting to push forward with my work while at the same time trying to finish off some things that have been languishing. Getting back to work after the last year is akin to walking a tightrope. Pushing too hard to get something/anything done seems only to result in a huge ball of frustration and the urge to throw everything in the trash. Working at the pace with which my “muse” feels comfortable leads to a different sort of frustration.

And so I walk the tightrope. Each day taking a tiny step forward, hoping that I am headed in the right direction and that the next step won’t find me falling with the world in a kaleidoscopic swirl around me. Tiny steps have a lot in common with tiny beads.

My traveling journal came home some time ago, but I didn’t even take it out of its shipping box until last week. When I did, I discovered that I really needed to finish doing the beading around the gold-leaf leaves on the inside of the front and back covers.




Gold-Leaf Leaves.

The square here measures 6”x 6”. That translates into a lot of little beads. At least now they are done.

Then in an effort to clean off my ironing board I stumbled upon a bunch of little triangles that were the cast-offs of some long forgotten project. “Muse,” said to me, “You really need to sew them together”. And so I complied.




Half-Square Triangles.

After squaring these up they measure 1-1/2” so when they are all sewn into something they will finish to 1” square. Please don’t ask me what I am going to make with them… I haven’t been let in on that little secret yet!

I am beginning to think that someone is having a lot of fun at my expense.

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies."-- Mother Teresa

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so I asked and then kept reading and you don't know what is to come of the new project now. So I really love the leaf and the beads make it so very nice. I look forward to seeing much more from you. Thank you for your insight.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Linda the leaf is great!And yes don't those teensy beads consume a lot of time(ask me HOW I know VBG)
When you've finished all your 1/2 triangles,there's a box here you can use.
Maureen/curli

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Linda, I too have 1.5" hst from a signature swap I participated in with 30s fabrics. Maybe we will both become inpired lol
you so wonderful work and I am looking forward to seeing more.
hugs, ellie

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home