Name:
Location: Algonquin, Illinois, United States

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Ideas, Time and the Inevitable Wait

You know I just hate it when you wait around for something and then find out that whatever it was that you were waiting for isn’t what you wanted. Case in point. My machine was at the doctors for tune up and to fix the bobbin winder. Of course I was in the middle of a project and thought that I had to have my machine to do the next part. So I wait a week to pick up my machine, come home and get started on phase two only to discover that I don’t like how it is working out. (Big heavy sigh) The solution of course was hand stitching which is something that I could have done while I was waiting on my machine. Ah well, it is now done and I can move to the next phase.

Karoda asked if I have incorporated the latticework that I did on the February 2005 Journal quilt into another larger work. The answer is…. Not yet. As usual I have more ideas for quilts than I have time to execute. But I really did like how it worked out and I do plan to use this for a quilt that has been sketched out in my journal. I will get to that one after I have finished the other twenty or so projects that are on my current to-do list.

To continue with my theme and my desire to show you some pretty pictures here is my March 2005 journal quilt. This was my first attempt at painting on fabric. Truthfully, it was really my first attempt at painting anything other than a wall. At that time I was involved in a traveling journal project and the person whose journal I had for that month had a theme of Icons and Shrines. Buddha seemed to fit pretty well with the theme and what some of the previous contributors had created. So I decided to do a sample piece. If it came out ok, I would do another, hopefully better piece to be included with her journal.

I did do a second piece for her journal and changed a few things on it. Of course the second one came out better, or at least I thought so. But then I was faced with having this sample and trying to figure out what I was going to do with it. Karey’s Journal Quilt Project to the rescue. Well the Journal quilts are supposed to be about experimentation, and this was definitely an experiment. I figured it fit.

Every composer knows the anguish and despair occasioned by forgetting ideas which one had no time to write down. —Hector Berlioz

1 Comments:

Blogger Karoda said...

You did an amazing job of shine and burnish on the statue! And again, great imagery for a larger piece.

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home