Name:
Location: Algonquin, Illinois, United States

Sunday, January 28, 2007

On the Path

If you are like me, the problem with deciding to change some parts of your life is that they don’t happen nearly fast enough and some things must be placed on the back burner. So here we are with the end of January quickly approaching and I feel like I have been a huge procrastinator. Luckily, I ran across this article on procrastination this morning that woke me up. The line that hit me straight between the eyes was this one.

You should know that some people who think of themselves as procrastinators really aren't. In a world of unending deadlines, they just put too many things on their "To Do" list. They're not avoiding tasks, the mark of a bona fide procrastinator; they're getting things done, just not as many as they would like.

So it got me to thinking and I went back over my planner for the past couple of weeks. Taking into consideration that the day job has been consuming ten plus hours every weekday I started looking at the things I had accomplished in spite of that. I won’t bore you with all the details, but I was a tiny bit surprised.

I began to see that what has been happening this month is what happens before you set off on a trip. There are a thousand details to see to. There is the mail to be stopped, pets to be boarded, a refrigerator that needs to be emptied, itineraries to be set and double-checked and finally bags to be packed.

At long last you come to the juncture. It is time to depart. One last look behind you and you firmly shut and lock the door and turn to go. These moments call for a deep breath as you pick up your luggage and step forward.


As I am still having some issues with my digital camera I stopped by MorgueFile for this photo. This was taken by Gracey from Orillia Ontario Canada.

Stay tuned. I am hoping to have some photos of new work for next time.

Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb. —Sir Winston Churchill

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a lovely, thoughtful, and useful post; very timely for me as well! Thank you.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home