Name:
Location: Algonquin, Illinois, United States

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy 4th of July

Let me start off by wishing you all a very happy July 4!

Second, I want to encourage you to surf over to Ami’s site and look at the great quilts in the auction. There are 19 quilts up for auction this month and I know there is one there that you will just have to bid on.

Next on the list is to thank you all for the kind comments and emails and even a few phone calls, telling my how much you like the Nevilyn quilt. I am overwhelmed. “Nevilyn” has left my house and is starting her three-year trip with a gathering in Flint Mi. There she will meet up with her other traveling companions, have her picture taken and, I am sure, will find a few special new friends that she likes to hang out with.

I have been remiss in not answering a question that was asked in the comments section, regarding how I did the photo of Nevilyn. The truth is that while I have done several photos onto quilts, I have never done it the same way twice. I have used Bubble Jet Set, treated the fabric, ironed it to freezer paper and run it though the printer. I have used iron on transfer paper that I ran thought the printer and then ironed on to the fabric. So true to form this time I tried something I hadn’t done before.

Over to JoAnn’s and in the quilting notions section I picked up several packages of “June Tailor Computer Printer Fabric”. There are several different brands that I know of… this just happened to be the one that JoAnn’s was carrying on the day that I was there. Normally, you have a choice of “white” or “natural”. The natural reminds me of nice muslin. There is also a new product out that is a sheer that you can print on and I have been itching to pick up some of that to play with. But for this project I wanted plain ole white fabric.


I then scanned the photo into the computer, used Paint Shop Pro to get the gradations that I wanted and printed the images out on the fabric with the inkjet printer. If that seems a little too much for you… you can simply find an INKJET copier and copy the photos directly onto the fabric. Just make sure it is an INKJET copier. The heat in the other types of copiers will yield a result that will NOT make you happy and may damage the printer/copier.

I have heard that it is best to let the printed fabric “cure”. All that means is you let the printed fabric set for anywhere from 12 to 48 hours. I think the longer you can wait the better. You then need to peel off the paper backing and hit the fabric with a hot, DRY iron. Do not use steam! The heat helps to set the ink into the fibers of the fabric. Then it is just a matter of cut and sew, just as you would use any other fabric. Ta-Da!

If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing. —W. Edwards Deming

1 Comments:

Blogger Maureen and P.D. the Pet Dog said...

Thank you for the "lesson", it's always great to know how things are done.

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home