Name:
Location: Algonquin, Illinois, United States

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Nevilyn

This was my project this weekend. I started it on Friday and mostly finished it up on Monday. No, I didn’t cut all of those squares this weekend. A couple of years ago a bunch of friends and I swapped out 1.5” squares. I think at the time I had it in mind to make a postage stamp quilt. So thankfully part of my work was already done before I started. All I had to do was to sort through them all and pick out the colors that I wanted. In total there are 868 squares.

Meet Nevilyn. She is my grandmother and on June 14, Flag Day, she will be 91 years old. That should be cause for celebration. But my grandmother has Alzheimer’s and she no longer knows anyone. My hope is that this quilt will help us to remember the things that she no longer does and in some small way convey the devastating affects Alzheimer’s.


Memory is a man's real possession...In nothing else is he rich; in nothing else is he poor. —Alexander Smith

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a lovely piece of art, Linda! You did GOOD! Jon

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Linda, I am your Mom's cousin Donna - Esther & Elmer's daughter. As a child, I spent a lot of time in the summer at Aunt Nevilyn & Uncle Jerry's house in Centralia. Lots of memories! I had heard about Nevilyn's Alzheimer's, but I am left in tears looking at your art. What an incredible way to show the loss. My Mom is post-stroke, wheelchair bound, limited in speech, and that is hard to deal with, but she does recognize us, at least most of the time. My heart goes out to you & your family. What a wonderful tribute you have been able to make.

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Linda, I saw your quilt " Nevilyn" at the Road to California Quilt Show in Ontario, CA, last month. I will never forget it. It instantly brought me to tears, as it reminded me of my grandmother. She suffered from Alzheimer's for many years. Your work so accurately portrays what Alzheimer's does. Thank you for making it. God bless you and God bless your grandmother, where ever she is.

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home